Tuesday 13 February 2007

"Fox News for Adults"





I want to talk about Iain Dale and 18 Doughty Street.


Two of their campaigns really get my goat - the anti Ken Livingstone drive and the anti-state funding drive.

I'm not going into the details of Iain Dale's Ken Livingstone campaign, read this from Tim Ireland, which sets it out perfectly. In short: Ireland criticises Dale for his coverage of the Smith Institute/Sith (delete as politically relevant), because Iain Dale is a trustee of Policy Exchange; Policy Exchange being the Tory's version of the S(m)ith - a registered charity with a party political slant. Iain Dale is a trustee of the Policy Exchange. So is Nick Boles. Who has applied to be Mayor of London. See the connection? 18 Doughty Street don't... and haven't made any declaration of interest. "Politics for adults" turns out to be not much more than a, well, Fox News Lite.

The issue here is most definitely declarations of interest. Or rather the lack of.

Which leads me onto the Dale/18DS state funding campaign.

18DS's next attack ad is on Livingstone. The last was on State Funding. In it, three MPs from the major parties discuss a forthcoming election. (You can tell which party they're from - they have coloured rosettes: it might be politics for adults, but it's not politics for particularly bright adults) Anyway, they sit in a suitably swanky restaurant and discuss how to swindle the costs of the next election out of the British Public, while at the same time inferring that they are pocketting the cash and planning to emigrate. Not exactly a reasoned argument. Not exactly "politics for adults".

What the ad doesn't mention is another of Dale's undeclared interests: that immediately before his last election campaign, his constituency association received generous funding from Lord Ashcroft. This was legal and in no way breached electoral law. Nevertheless, between the time that Iain Dale was selected as a Potential Parliamentary Candidate and the calling of the 2005 General Election, Iain Dale's constituency assocation was funded by a millionaire who applied an unprecedented level of financial leverage to a UK General Election Campaign: a feat he would be unable to repeat in a state-funded environment.

This is a pertinent and important fact and shapes any interpretation that can fairly be made of Iain Dale's campaign against State Funding. Needless to say, he doesn't mention it.

At the last election, Iain Dale stood in North Norfolk for the Conservatives. His was one of the constituencies chosen to be funded by Lord Ashcroft's Bearwood Corporate Services.

Now if you're not familiar with Lord Ashcroft, the biog is something like this (better be careful, he's somewhat litigious): brought up in UK and Belize, makes millions, donates millions to Tory Party. Offered a peerage by William Hague in 2001 on the condition that he took British citizenship (he had uncharitably been dubbed a "tax exile" up to that point) Ashcroft quipped back "only if I can be titled Lord Ashcroft of Belize".

His support for the Conservative Party during the 2005 General Election was unusual: Ashcroft chose the seats into which the money was donated. One of which was Iain Dale's North Norfolk campaign.

I raised this with Dale last week, and he made some valid points (at 5.27 and 5.59), particularly in correcting me that the money was not direct campaign funding, but that it was donated before the campaign - i.e before Parliament dissolved for the election.

He made some weaker points too: on Ashcroft's procedure for selecting the seats he would support, he said (5.40pm):

The seats were analysed according to which seats needed the most support. Seats which had adequate funding did not receive any. All candidates had to submit a properly costed business/campaign plan and they were analysed on that basis.

This is pretty unlikely, not least because the Cities of London and Westminster - one of the richest constituencies in Western Europe and true blue since time immemorial - was also Ashcroft/Bearwood funded. It also contradicts the evidence given by Peter Bradley at the Constitutional Affairs select committee hearing into party funding in 2005 (although as a Labour MP unseated by Tory using Bearwood funding, I accept that he's hardly a disinterested observer):

(Bearwood and others using the same method) contributed over £1.3 million to what I have identified as three categories of constituency:
— those Labour and Liberal Democrat seats they aimed to win in 2005;
— those Labour and LD seats they aim to win at the next election; and
— Conservative marginals they were defending in 2005.


Dale went on "He bypassed CCO because he rightly thought that the money would be wasted."
Aside from the fact that a Tory PPC thinks a donation to the Tory party would be a "waste", I think Dale's comment here is the biggest indictment of the Bearwood model.
Why should a millionaire dictate how parties are run? Who were the voters of Norfolk North (or the Cities of London and Westminster, or any of the other dozens of constituencies that Bearwood and others funded) actually voting for - the Conservative candidate or the Bearwood candidate? To whom do they look to for representation? To whom does the candidate look to for direction - his party or his funder? What is the point of political parties at all if they are simply used as a vehicle to further the political opinions of the super-rich?

This pattern will continue. According to Lord Ashcroft, the results of the 2005 General Election funding model were pleasing:

"it soon became clear that we had been wasting neither our time nor our resources. Of the 33 candidates who won seats from Labour or the LDs, no fewer than 25 had received support from the fund that I had set up"
(Lord Ashcroft, "Dirty Politics, Dirty Times", p.295-6)

So, in other words, expect more of the same. A lot more.


State funding is a deeply flawed option. It will almost certainly be criticised for costing too much. It will take funds away from elsewhere. It will require civil servants to implement it. It will, no doubt, be inefficient at some point in its implementation. And, sin of sins, it may need to be paid for out of tax. But it is the least worst option.


Critics of of state funding inevitably point to cash for peerages as an example of the venality of politics. But they miss the point: the cash for peerages scandal is what happens when you increase public scrutiny of the political system. Parties have always given their donors peerages (**looks up page**). It has come to light because it is only recently that it has been provable. We need more of this. State funding would give us more.


State funding would be the subject of unparalleled scrutiny precisely because it is so controversial. It would be a further illumination of one of the dark spaces of British politics.


On the other hand, more private funding = more private funders. More hidden agenda. More debasing of politics.


Whatever you think of state funding, remember that there are vested interests speaking vocally and that they aren't declaring those interests.




It is not as cut and dried as Iain Dale or 18 Doughty Street make out. Not by a long way.


***EDIT***
The Ken Livingstone attack ad is now up on the 18DS website. The link to it on Iain Dale's site is attracting some criticism of the "sources" used for the "facts", but no declaration of interest...

Picture my surprise.





17 comments:

Praguetory said...

Frankly, this post wasn't worth the effort.

Unity said...

Frankly, PT, you're a twat.

Lobster Blogster said...

Very sorry about this, but PrickTory my house elf has gone missing. No one has seen him around here have they?

Gracchi said...

Interesting personally I agree I'm no fan of millionaire funding but what about individual caps say of one hundred quid each- and no state fudning.

Bob Piper said...

If it got up Dominic's nose (a bit like Ozzy's coke, eh, Dom?) it was well worth the effort. Still, nice to see the boy coming out to defend his master.

Hamer Shawcross said...

An excellent post indeed, and timely.

Anonymous said...

Great post, very revealing. I've always thought that Tories smearing their opponents for being sleazy was...well...a bit sleazy.

On state funding, I'm not sure I agree. State funding will further remove all parties from their supporter bases at a time when mass political parties are already haemorrhaging (over the long term) support. The health of democracy has to come before the health of any individual political party, whichever side part of the spectrum you hail from.

Boy Jim

peteblogging said...

All good points Jim. As I said, there are definite problems with state funding and it is by no means a magic bullet. I didn't mean my post as pro-state funding per se, more anti-vested interest...

Anonymous said...

Hello, peteblogging. An interesting and thought-provoking post.

As I understand it, the broad point of your post is about declaration of interests, etc, and I agree with you. This is the sort of thing over which we would rightly take the mainstream media to task. It is only right that in making our points, political or otherwise, we should aspire to transparency.

I haven't read anything from Iain Dale on this, so I am not speaking for him. Regarding your point about 18DS and Ken Livingtone, would it be fair to say that perhaps there was no declaration regarding Nick Boles because Iain is not the owner, but an employee, of 18DS. We don't know that Nick Boles is the 18DS 'candidate', if such a thing exists. The fact that Iain Dale and Nick Boles sit as trustees of the Policy Exchange (a separate body from 18DS) should not necessarily imply an 'interest' by 18DS (which is not the same person as Iain) in seeing him elected Mayor. Having said that, I agree that a general declaration may have been prudent, if only to avoid any suspicion.

You make some very good points about the state funding issue. I must say that I am against state funding, as are many, and I suspect that with or without the declaration of interest, there is still a valid case to be made against it. Again, I do not know the extent to which Iain Dale dictates the direction of 18DS. Perhaps you ascribe to him more influence than he really has. Then again, I don't know.

My final point relates to 18DS as a whole. I am not a frequent viewer. I only tune in when there is something that catches my interest. In fact, I doubt that I have even watched up to ten programmes. Correct me if I am wrong, but my general impression was that it was a right-of-centre channel. Does that not therefore mean that there will be bias to the right in most of their coverage? I could be totally wrong, I don't know. However, if that is the case, then perhaps one needs to read an 'implicit' declaration of interest into every advert from that station. This probably sounds cynical, but I really don't mean to be.

Ken Livingstone's policies are enough to infuriate any centre-right politician, so a station like 18DS attacking him should surprise no one. Nick Boles is only one of a number of candidates. Undermining Ken does not result in a direct benefit for Nick Boles, who may not even get the Conservative ticket to stand. In that respect, perhaps a declaration may be a bit far-fetched, in my opinion. However, as I intimated earlier, for the sake of transparency, it is perhaps always best to err on the side of caution.

peteblogging said...

Bel

All good points

Have a look at the 18DS FAQ:
http://www.18doughtystreet.com/faq

Iain Dale is one of 5 directors of the channel's parent company. As such (and as of the founders and main presenters/pundits) I think it is fair to conclude that he has a great deal of sway in the direction of 18DS.

Of course 18DS is right of centre, and of course they are annoyed by Ken Livingstone. But that doesn't preclude them from declaring their interest and the network of interests that lies behind them.

Look at the 18DS attack on the Smith Institute. Iain Dale is a trustee of Policy Exchange, which like the SI has an extremely strong alliance with a single party - almost to the exclusion of all others. Again, there is an interest there. Again, it is undeclared.

Perhaps if the SI attack had featured a declared interest I wouldn't have written the above post. But a pattern has developed and it is insidious.

18DS try to claim an element of political neutrality on the FAQ:

"we will be very critical of the direction of the Conservative Party and its current leader, David Cameron and, on other occasions, 18 Doughty Street will applaud the approaches adopted by the Liberal Democrats, UKIP and the Labour Party"

They've been running for nearly six mnonths: I have yet to see either.

Anonymous said...

18 Doughty Street is much more than a fine Georgian residence that has been renovated to the highest standards. It truly is a home and not just an office or studio. It is the home of the conservative movement.

from

http://www.18doughtystreet.com/come_inside

Sir-C4' said...

Unity and Piper are stains on the underwear of life

Anonymous said...

Lobster Blogster, thank you for posting that.

A somewhat exaggerated claim by 18DS. A conservative movement, yes. The 'home'? There I disagree. I would like to believe that the roots of the conservative movement were firmly established way way before 18DS showed up. Rather grand claims, I think.

But yes, I take the general point.

Iain Dale said...

Pete,
You say "What the ad doesn't mention is another of Dale's undeclared interests: that his last election campaign was funded by a millionaire who applied an unprecedented level of financial leverage to a UK General Election Campaign: a feat he would be unable to repeat in a state-funded environment."

Are you suggesting that I have broken any rules. I declared all donations fully. The donation you refer to was not for my election campaign. It was pre election.

Also, I have no interest to declare re Nick Boles. I have never hidden the fact I am a trustee of Policy Exchange. It has nothing to do with my criticism of the SMith Institute. I have also not declared who I will support as Conservative Candidate for Mayor of London. Nick Boles hasn't declared as a candidate so far as I know. I may support Steve Norris. So don't attribute motives to me which are not there.

And as a matter of record, the 18DS ad campaigns are run by Tim Montgomerie, not me. I have no imput into them at all, although I fully support them. As Tim and Nick Boles are on opposite wings of the Party you can draw from that what you will.

Don't look for a conspiracy where there is none.

And last night, I do hope you enjoted Talking with Tatchell on 18DS. A really right wing programme. Not.

peteblogging said...

Iain

If I thought you had broken any rules, I would have said so.

I also said:
"I raised this with Dale last week, and he made some valid points (at 5.27 and 5.59), particularly in correcting me that the money was not direct campaign funding, but that it was donated before the campaign - i.e before Parliament dissolved for the election."

I have not been blogging long, and this is perhaps a sign of my inexperience. If I have caused people to have the wrong impression of you, then I apologise. For the sake of clarity, I will happily change the offending paragraph.

However...

"I have never hidden the fact I am a trustee of Policy Exchange. It has nothing to do with my criticism of the SMith Institute."

Gonna have to call "bullshit" on that one Iain. You know as well as I do that a PE trustee criticising the Smith Institute for having partisan political ties is like Noel Gallagher criticising David Cameron for ripping off other people's tunes - elevating hypocrisy into an art form.

You go on...
"the 18DS ad campaigns are run by Tim Montgomerie, not me. I have no imput into them at all"

Er, are you sure?

Have a look at your post "Are you against State Funding of Political Parties" (6 Feb) -
"The latest 18 Doughty Street political ad ... we've also done a futuristic film..."

"We"?

Or your post "Ken Livingstone: The Movie" (last wednesday):
"Next week's ad will attack ... Click HERE to give us your script ideas"

"Us"?

Or your post today about Ken Livingstone:
"And in case you haven't seen the 18 Doughty Street advert ... it's HERE. And if you'd like to vote on our next Ad campaign"

"Our"?

That's a lot of first person plural for someone with "no input".

Or have you been taking credit for someone else's work? In that case, you'd better tell them... another addition to that list of declarations you need to make ;)

Hope you're having fun in the states

Iain Dale said...

I am not in the States. As you say, you haven't been blogging long!

The reason I queried the Ashcroft thing was exactly because I had clarified the situation in a previous Comment on your blog so I was a little surprised to see your loose use of "undeclared".

Listen, I am totally in favour of the 18DS ads. I was merely clarifying that I have no input into the scripts or films. Of course I promote them. When I use "we" I mean the 18DS team, of which I am part. It would be a bit strange if I disowned them, wouldn't it?

Wouldn't you say the fact that you have devoted hours to this subject means that you think 18DS has a standing rather greater than you would like? I am amused by the vitriolic attacks on many left of centre blogs on us. If you felt we were irrelevant and no threat you'd ignore us.

Anyway, I don't know if you are based in London, but if you are, I'd happily invite on to my show.

Guido 2.0 said...

Manic thinks this sounds fair. You can appear on Iain's show and make your case... just before Iain cuts you off by throwing words back in your face (that he may or may not understand). You'll also get to enjoy Iain's famous ability to insult you as he chides you for insulting him.